הרטפורד, קונטיקט

הרטפורד, קונטיקט


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

הרטפורד, בירת קונטיקט ומושב מחוז הרטפורד, נמצאת בראש הניווט בנהר קונטיקט, במרחק של 38 קילומטרים מלונג איילנד סאונד. הוא הפך לשגשוג מציד לווייתנים והתפתח למרכז הביטוח החשוב ביותר במדינה. מהגרים הולנדים הקימו עמדת מסחר שבה נהר הפארק זורם לקונטיקט בשנת 1623, והם בנו בה מבצר בשנת 1633. זמן קצר לאחר מכן, בשנת 1635, מתנחלים החלו להגיע מניו טאון (לימים קיימברידג ', מסצ'וסטס). בשנת 1637 קראו למקום Hartford, על שם הרטפורד, מקום הולדתו האנגלי של אחד המתיישבים הראשונים. פקודות היסוד, החוקה הכתובה הראשונה במושבות האמריקאיות, אומצה בשנת 1639. בשנת 1662, המושבות קונטיקט וניו הייבן נאספו תחת השם קונטיקט. הרטפורד הייתה בירה מאז, למרות שהיא חלקה את התפקיד עם ניו הייבן שבקונטיקט בין 1701 ל -1873. מרכז התנועה הפדרליסטית. בשנת 1814 התקיימה אמנת הרטפורד כמחאה על מספר פוליסות לאומיות. פוליסת הביטוח הראשונה שהונפקה בהרטפורד הייתה על ידי חברת ביטוח האש של הארטפורד בשנת 1794. ענף הביטוח גדל עד שבאמצע המאה ה -20 היו יותר מ -40 חברות ביטוח בהרטפורד. סמואל ל קלמנס, הידוע יותר בשם מארק טוויין, עבר להרטפורד בשנת 1871, זמן קצר לאחר נישואיו. בית מארק טוויין היה ביתו עד מותו בשנת 1910. לא רחוק משם נמצא בית הרייט ביצ'ר סטו, שם חי המחבר העתידי של "בקתת הדוד תום" משנת 1873 עד מותה. הפגישה הראשונה של המחוקק בקונטיקט בהווה בירת מדינת קונטיקט התקיימה בינואר 1879. זה היה הרבה מעל ההערכה המקורית של 900 אלף דולר, בין היתר בגלל שהכיפה הראשונה קרסה והיה צורך להחליפה. הבירה ממוקמת בתוך פארק בושנל בלב הרטפורד. מרכז התרבות הבולט ביותר בהרטפורד הוא וודסוורת 'אתניום, המוזיאון הראשון לאמנות ציבורית באמריקה, המשתרע על פני בלוק עיר מלא ומשלב את ספריית האמנות אורבך, אנדרטת קולט, אנדרטת אנדרטת מורגן. . המכון הראשון להשכלה גבוהה של הרטפורד נקבע כוושינגטון קולג 'בשנת 1812 וכיום הוא ידוע בשם טריניטי קולג'.


הרטפורד, קונטיקט - היסטוריה

יום חמישי, 6 ביולי 1944, היה יום חם במיוחד בקונטיקט. בשדה ברחוב ברבור בהרטפורד, בין שישה לשמונה אלף פטרונים ביקשו הסחת דעת מחום הקיץ בהשתתפות בהופעה של האחים רינגלינג ברנום ובקרקס ביילי. מופע מנות בהשתתפות אמני טרפז, ליצנים ומאמנים לבעלי חיים משך את הלקוחות אל החלק העליון הגדול באורך של כ -500 רגל. לאף אחד לא היה מושג שהם עומדים לשחק חלק באחד האסונות הקשים ביותר בהיסטוריה של קונטיקט.

לאחר הופעה של משחקי האריות הצרפתים, אלפרד קורט, אמני הטרפז המפורסמים, וולנדס הגדולים, תפסו את עמדותיהם בתוך הטופ הגדול והחלו את שגרתם. בינתיים, ממש מחוץ לאוהל (כפי שהסיפור המקובל נוהג בתיאוריה), סיגריה שהושלכה ברשלנות ליד המחיצה לשירותי הגברים החלה באש קטנה. האש, פעם במגע עם בד האוהל, התפשטה במהירות, בעיקר בשל איטום הקנבס באמצעות מריחת שעוות פרפין דק בבנזין.

אתר עגלות קרקס ליד הדוכנים השרופים, יולי 1944 הרטפורד קוראנט תמונת קובץ

אחד המבצעים הבחין בשריפה וצרח, "האוהל ’ בוער!" להנהלת הלהקה, מרל אוונס, גרמה למוזיקאים שלו לפרוץ במהירות ל"כוכבים ופסים לנצח ", איתות שנקבע מראש לעובדי הקרקס שמשהו לא בסדר להחריד.

כשהגיעו הלהבות לגובה של 100 מטרים, פטרונים מבוהלים רצו אל היציאות, רק כדי למצוא כמה מהם חסומים על ידי כלובים של בעלי חיים בתהליך הכניסה והיציאה מהאוהל. צווארי בקבוק נוצרו ביציאות כאשר כתמים של בד בוער החלו לרדת על משתתפי הקרקס. אלה שלא הצליחו להימלט דרך היציאות המעוצבות החלו לחתוך חורים דרך הבד כדי לעשות את הדרך החוצה.

שוטרים ואנשי קרקס אחרים רצו לעבר הלהבות עם דלי מים, אך הם איחרו מאוחר מדי. בתוך פחות מעשר דקות האש בערה דרך עמודים וחבלי תמיכה ושולחים את שרידי הגג הגדול באורך 19 הטון שהתרסקו על אלה שלא בר מזל מספיק שכבר נמלטו.

העלמה הקטנה 1565 ואחרים נזכרו באנדרטת האש של קרקס הארטפורד

עד שכוחות הכיבוי כיבו את הלהבות, כמעט 170 בני אדם שכבו מתים. רובם מתו מחשיפה לשריפה ולעשן, אך גם מספר לא מבוטל נרמס. אולי הקורבן המפורסם ביותר של השריפה היה ילדה קטנה ללא שם. ידועה בשם העלמה הקטנה 1565 (שם הנגזר מהמספר שהוקצה לה בחדר המתים בעיר) הוויכוח על זהותה נשאר עד היום. חלק מאמינים שהיא בת שש מקומית בשם שרה גרהם, בעוד שאחרים חושבים שהיא אלינור אמילי קוק, נערה ממסצ'וסטס.

ליצן עם דלי, האש, קרקס האש, 1944 –, אגודה היסטורית בקונטיקט

הרשויות ראו בשריפה תאונה נוראה (ככל הנראה שנגרמה מסיגריה שהושלכה ברשלנות) ואף פעם לא האשימו אף אחד בהפעלתה, אך הדבר לא פוטר את פקידי האחים רינגלינג מאשמה כלשהי. ארבעה גברים הואשמו בעבירות של רשלנות. בין המעשים הללו היה העדר הכנה לאש מצד ניהול הקרקס. מחקירת השריפה עלה כי בזמן ההופעה, מטפי הכבאות של הקרקס נותרו קבורים ובלתי נגישים ביחידת אחסון, בעוד כבאות הכיבוי שלה נחו במרחק של יותר מרבע קילומטר משם. החוקרים גם האשימו את הקרקס בכך שלא הודיעו למכבי האש בהרטפורד על הגעתם וכוונתם להופיע.

בסופו של דבר, ארבעת פקידי הקרקס לא ערערו על האשמות ובילו כשנה בכלא לפני שבסופו של דבר קיבלו חנינות. בנוסף, הקרקס הסכים לשלם פיצוי של קרוב ל -5 מיליון דולר למשפחות הקורבנות.

טוויסט מעניין לסיפור הגיע שש שנים מאוחר יותר. המשטרה באוהיו עצרה את רוברט דייל סגי בגין הפעלת מספר שריפות בשנת 1950. בחקירה אינטנסיבית הודה סגי, עובד קרקס לשעבר שעבד בהופעה בהרטפורד ב -1944, כיוון שהצית את השריפה, יחד עם שריפות במיין וניו המפשייר ו אפילו לביצוע ארבעה מקרי רצח. הרשויות הפקידו את שגי (שטען כי דמותו של אינדיאנית רפאים רוכבת על סוס בוער אמרה לו להתחיל לירות) לבית החולים הממלכתי לטיפול בסכיזופרניה פרנואידית. שנים לאחר מכן, סגי חזר בו מהודאתו.

כתוצאה משריפת קרקס הארטפורד בשנת 1944, חוקקה קונטיקט תקנות בטיחות אש קפדניות חדשות להופעות ציבוריות. ביולי 2005, מקום השריפה משנת 1944, כיום שדה קטן מאחורי בית הספר המשאלות בהרטפורד, היה עד להקדש אנדרטה לזכר קורבנות האירועים הטראגיים של אותו יום.


תמונות ישנות, תמונות, פרסומות וגלויות מהרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

1888 רובי מגזין הברק של קולט
קולט פטנט ייצור כלי נשק, הרטפורד, קונטיקט

נמצא במוזיאון The Way It Was, וירג'יניה סיטי, נבדה
פרסומת


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

דמינג וגונדלאך, תכשיטנים ואופטיקאים, רחוב סטייט 20, הרטפורד, קונ.
פרסומת


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

Wm. H. Wiley & Son, Hartford, Conn.

יומן הבית של הגברות
מרץ 1898
פרסומת


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

The Hartford Rubber Works Co., Hartford, Conn.

יומן הבית של הגברות
מרץ 1898
פרסומת


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

5% צינורות ניקל מפלדה נמצאים רק באופני קולומביה
האפיפיור Mfg. Co, הרטפורד, קונ.

יומן הבית של הגברות
אפריל 1898
פרסומת


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

מרכז קבורה ישן, 1898

עיירות היסטוריות של ניו אינגלנד. (1898). בריטניה: בניו של ג.פ. פוטנאם.
תַצלוּם


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

הקפיטול, 1898

עיירות היסטוריות של ניו אינגלנד. (1898). בריטניה: בניו של ג.פ. פוטנאם.
תַצלוּם


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

רחוב ראשי, 1898

עיירות היסטוריות של ניו אינגלנד. (1898). בריטניה: בניו של ג.פ. פוטנאם.
תַצלוּם


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

פסל ישראל פוטנאם, 1898

עיירות היסטוריות של ניו אינגלנד. (1898). בריטניה: בניו של ג.פ. פוטנאם.
תַצלוּם


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

בית המדינה הישן, עכשיו בית העירייה, 1898

עיירות היסטוריות של ניו אינגלנד. (1898). בריטניה: בניו של ג.פ. פוטנאם.
תַצלוּם


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

מבט אל עבר נהר קונטיקט לכיוון בניין הטרוולרים, הרטפורד, קונ.
גְלוּיָה


הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארה"ב

מלון בונד, הרטפורד, קונ.

"מלון בונד הוא מלון היסטורי, שנבנה בשני שלבים בשנים 1913 ו -1921, במרכז העיר הרטפורד, קונטיקט על ידי המלונאי הארי ס. בונד. הוא ממוקם ליד פארק בושנל, ונחשב למלון המפואר בהרטפורד. קרא עוד.

גְלוּיָה


היסטוריה מוקדמת של מחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט

מחוז הרטפורד היה אחד מארבעה מחוזות מקוריים בקונטיקט שהוקמה ב- 10 במאי 1666, על פי מעשה של בית המשפט הכללי בקונטיקט.

כפי שהוקם בשנת 1666, מחוז הרטפורד כלל את העיירות ווינדזור, ווטרספילד, הרטפורד, פארמינגטון ומידלטאון. "האי שלושים מיילס" שאליו מתייחסים בחוק המכונן שולבה כעיירה חאדם בשנת 1668. בשנת 1670 הוקמה העיירה סימסברי, המשתרעת על מחוז הרטפורד עד גבול מסצ'וסטס. בסוף המאה ה -17 עד תחילת המאה ה -18 הוקמו כמה עיירות נוספות שהוספו למחוז הרטפורד: ווטרברי בשנת 1686 (הועבר למחוז ניו הייבן בשנת 1728), ווינדהאם בשנת 1694 (הועבר למחוז ווינדהאם בשנת 1726), חברון בשנת 1708 (הועבר למחוז טולנד בשנת 1785), קובנטרי בשנת 1712 (הועבר למחוז ווינדהאם בשנת 1726), וליצ'פילד בשנת 1722 (הועבר למחוז ליצ'פילד בשנת 1751).

בשנת 1714, כל השטח הבלתי מאוגד מצפון לעיירות קובנטרי ווינדהאם שבצפון מזרח קונטיקט לגבול מסצ'וסטס הוצב תחת תחום השיפוט של מחוז הרטפורד. מחוז ווינדהאם הוקם בשנת 1726, וכתוצאה מכך מחוז הרטפורד איבד את העיירות ווינדהאם, קובנטרי, מנספילד (נוסדה בשנת 1702) ואשפורד (נוסדה בשנת 1714). צפון -מערב קונטיקט, שהוצב במקור תחת תחום שיפוט מחוז ניו הייבן בשנת 1722, הועבר למחוז הרטפורד עד 1738. כל צפון -מערב קונטיקט נוסדה מאוחר יותר כמחוז ליצ'פילד החדש בשנת 1751. בשנת 1785 הוקמו שני מחוזות נוספים במה הייתה כעת מדינת קונטיקט האמריקאית: טולנד ומדילסקס. זה הביא בעיקר להיקף המודרני של מחוז הרטפורד. בסוף המאה ה -18 ותחילת המאה ה -19, הקמתן של כמה עיירות נוספות גרמה לשינויים קלים בגבולות המחוז. ההתאמה הסופית שהביאה לגבולות המודרניים התרחשה ב- 8 במאי 1806, כאשר הוקמה העיר קנטון.


Ⓘ ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט. ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט תפסה מקום מרכזי בהיסטוריה של קונטיקט החל ממקורות המדינות ועד לפרס.

ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט תפסה מקום מרכזי בהיסטוריה של קונטיקט ממקורות המדינות ועד היום, כמו גם ההיסטוריה הגדולה יותר של ארצות הברית של אמריקה.

  • להלן ציר זמן של ההיסטוריה של העיר הרטפורד קונטיקט ארה"ב. 1623 פורט הופ שנבנה על ידי חברת הודו המערבית ההולנדית. 1635 אנגלית
  • הרטפורד היא עיר הבירה של מדינת קונטיקט בארה"ב. היא הייתה מקום מושבו של מחוז הרטפורד עד שפירקה קונטיקט את ממשלת המחוז בשנת 1960
  • מזרח הרטפורד היא עיר במחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארצות הברית. האוכלוסייה הייתה 51, 252 במפקד האוכלוסין של 2010. העיר ממוקמת בגדה המזרחית
  • זוהי רשימה של הרישום הלאומי למקומות היסטוריים בהרטפורד קונטיקט זו נועדה להיות רשימה מלאה של הנכסים
  • ווסט הרטפורד היא עיר במחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארצות הברית, 8 קילומטרים 8.0 ק"מ ממערב למרכז הרטפורד האוכלוסייה הייתה 63, 268 בשנת 2010
  • הרטפורד רבתי הוא אזור הממוקם במדינת קונטיקט בארה"ב שבמרכזו בירת הרטפורד. היא מייצגת את הסטטיסטיקה המשולבת היחידה
  • ראש עיריית הרטפורד קונטיקט את השתייכותם למפלגה הפוליטית, ותאריכיהם בתפקיד, כמו גם מידע אחר. העיר הרטפורד התחלפה
  • אמנת הרטפורד הייתה סדרת פגישות מה -15 בדצמבר 1814 עד ה -5 בינואר 1815 בהרטפורד קונטיקט ארצות הברית, שבהן ניו אינגלנד
  • תחנת הרטפורד יוניון היא תחנת הרכבת המרכזית בהרטפורד קונטיקט, ארצות הברית. בניין התחנה ההיסטורי נמצא בסמוך לבניין הקפיטול של המדינה
  • השכונות של הרטפורד קונטיקט בארצות הברית מגוונות והיסטוריות. מרכז העיר הוא רובע העסקים העיקרי של הרטפורד. זהו המיקום של
  • בית האולד סטייט הושלם בשנת 1796 בהרטפורד קונטיקט, ככל הנראה, תוכנן על ידי האדריכל האמריקאי המפורסם צ'ארלס בולפינץ '.
  • בית הקברות סידר היל בהרטפורד קונטיקט ממוקם בשדרת פיירפילד 453. הוא תוכנן על ידי אדריכל הנוף יעקב ויידנמן 1829 1893 מי
  • הרטפורד קוראנט הוא העיתון היומי הגדול ביותר במדינת קונטיקט בארה"ב, ומוכר לעתים קרובות כעיתון הוותיק ביותר שפורסם
  • חבילת הארטפורד וולף היא קבוצת הוקי קרח מקצועית שבסיסה בהרטפורד קונטיקט. חבר בליגת ההוקי האמריקאית AHL שהם משחקים
  • רחוב במרכז העיר הרטפורד קונטיקט נבנה בשנות ה -20 של המאה ה -20 בעיצובו של איתיאל טאון, וזו אחת הדוגמאות המוקדמות ביותר המוכרות לאדריכלות התחייה הגותית.
  • השר הראשון של קיימברידג ', מסצ'וסטס, אחד המתיישבים והמייסדים הראשונים של העיר הרטפורד ומדינת קונטיקט, שצוטט על ידי
  • הבניין העירוני של הרטפורד, הידוע גם בשם בית העירייה של הרטפורד, הוא מבנה ביו -אמנויות היסטורי הממוקם ברחוב הראשי 550 בהרטפורד קונטיקט.
  • הארכיבישוף של הרטפורד היא כנסייה מסוימת של הטקס הלטיני במחוז הרטפורד ליצ'פילד וניו הייבן במדינת קונטיקט בארצות הברית.
  • סמינר הרטפורד הוא מכללה תיאולוגית לא דתית בהרטפורד קונטיקט, מקורו של סמינר הרטפורד החל משנת 1833 כאשר הפסטורליה
  • שבסיסה בעיר שמה של הרטפורד קונטיקט היא מדורגת במקום ה -156 בפורטון 500 בשנת 2018. רווחי החברה הינם
  • היא עיר הממוקמת במחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארצות הברית. הוא ממוקם מיד דרומית להרטפורד לאורך נהר קונטיקט. האוכלוסייה שלה
  • אזור הארטפורד ספרינגפילד הגדול יותר הוא אזור עירוני וסביבות פרברים שמקיפים אותו, הן בצפון - מרכז קונטיקט והן בדרום
  • מחוז הרטפורד הוא מחוז הממוקם בחלק הצפוני המרכזי של מדינת קונטיקט בארה"ב. על פי מפקד האוכלוסין 2010, האוכלוסייה הייתה 894, 014
  • קו הרטפורד הוא קו רכבות נוסעים בין ניו הייבן, קונטיקט וספרינגפילד, מסצ'וסטס, תוך שימוש בניו הייבן ספרינגפילד שבבעלות אמטרק.
  • קונטיקט דרום מערב קונטיקט השלטון המקומי בעיירות קונטיקט בקונטיקט עיר ניו -אינגלנד עיר הבירה של קונטיקט הרטפורד סיטי
  • ממוקם בהרטפורד קונטיקט, ממש מעבר לרחוב מהקפיטול של מדינת קונטיקט. ספריית המדינה מספקת מגוון רחב של מידע, ספרייה
  • המתיישבים האירופאים הראשונים בקונטיקט היו הולנדים שהקימו יישוב קטן וקצר ימים בשם פורט הופ בהרטפורד במפגש של
  • "הרטפורד טיימס" היה עיתון יומי אחר הצהריים המשרת את קהילת הרטפורד קונטיקט בשנים 1817 עד 1976. הוא היה בבעלות במשך עשרות שנים על ידי גאנט
  • פארק גודווין הוא פארק עירוני ומגרש גולף הממוקם בהרטפורד ווטרספילד, קונטיקט שנפתח לקהל בשנת 1901, והוא משתרע על פני 227 דונם 92 דונם
  • הרטפורד קונטיקט נוסדה כמכללת וושינגטון בשנת 1823 כחלופה לייל, והיא המכללה השנייה הוותיקה במדינת קונטיקט.

לַחֲלוֹק:

תאריך פרסום:

מקור המאמר:

משתמשים חיפשו גם:

קרט הרטפורד, הרטפורד, הרטפורד, היסטוריה, עיר, צירק, מארפטור, אזור, עיר ברידג'פורט, ברידג'פורט, מרטפורד צ'ירק, קרט הרטפורד, קונטיקט, קונטיקט, היסטוריה של הרטפורד קונטיקט, אזור קונטיקט, היסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט,

עיר ברידג'פורט.

היסטוריה של הרדיו הרטפורד. שינוי השכונה בקונטיקט 1934 לשנה הנוכחית. שכונת otl. פרויקט ההיסטוריה השחורה של הרטפורד. ברידג'פורט. היסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט היסטוריה של עיירות ב- YouTube. סמואל קולט, יליד הרטפורד, רשם פטנט על אקדחו שמו בשנת 1836, אך החידוש הגדול ביותר שלו היה החדרת ייצור המוני לתעשיית הנשק. מְיוּמָן. אזור קונטיקט. CT ג'אז היסטוריה הארטפורד ג'אז הארטפורד. בירת מדינת השיש והגרניט, שהושלמה בשנת 1879, מכילה חפצים רבים בעלי עניין היסטורי, כולל המצבה של האמריקאי.

הרטפורד - בניינים היסטוריים של קונטיקט.

הִיסטוֹרִיָה. ההיסטוריה של הספרייה הציבורית בהרטפורד משתרעת על פני יותר מ 235 שנים. אנו יכולים לספרייה הציבורית של הרטפורד על ידי מעשה מיוחד של האסיפה הכללית בקונטיקט. הרטפורד, קונטיקט. צמחה להיות אחת הערים המשגשגות ביותר במדינה, ובסוף המאה ה -19 הייתה העיר העשירה במדינה. מפות היסטוריות ניו הרטפורד CT. ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט תפסה מקום מרכזי בהיסטוריה של קונטיקט ממקורות המדינות ועד היום, כמו גם ההיסטוריה הגדולה יותר של ארצות הברית של אמריקה.

בתים ואתרים היסטוריים בהרטפורד קונטיקט.

7 במאי 2019 תמונות HARTFORD. ראה רעיונות נוספים אודות הרטפורד, היסטוריה, צילום. עובדות האנציקלופדיה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט לילדים קידל. ברוכים הבאים לאתר האינטרנט של המחלקה להיסטוריה בטריניטי קולג 'בהרטפורד, קונטיקט. יותר מתמיד אנו זקוקים לתודעה היסטורית ביומיום שלנו.

הרטפורד, המוזיאון הלאומי להיסטוריה של אמריקה בקונטיקט.

היסטוריה של. הרטפורד. מָחוֹז. קונטיקט. 1633 1884. ג'יימס. האמונד. היסטוריה של טרומבול של מחוז שההיסטוריה הקודמת שלו אינה ניתנת להפרדה מזו של. הרטפורד, קונטיקט: היסטוריה, תיאטרון וחיי לילה מבקרים בארצות הברית. Опубликовано: 14 ספטמבר. 2017 г.

אוניברסיטת UHart להיסטוריה של הרטפורד.

מפות ישנות עוזרות לנו לראות חלק מההיסטוריה של העיירות שלנו. המפות להלן מתוארכות לשנת 1874. כל אחת מהמפות הללו בגודל מלא ייקח דקה או שתיים להעלות על שלך. המוזיאון להיסטוריה של קונטיקט בהרטפורד יש את זה. קבל את חדשות הבריאות האחרונות ישירות בתיבת הדואר הנכנס שלך. משרדי בית החולים הרטפורד. 80 Seymour Street Hartford, CT 06102. 200 MY HARTFORD, CT HISTORY רעיונות hartford, היסטוריה, צילום. עובדות היסטוריות של קונטיקט באודרו כרונולוגי. 1783 - מילון ראשון, בהוצאת נוח וובסטר, יליד ווסט הרטפורד 1784 - בית ספר למשפטים ראשון ב.

המוזיאון להיסטוריה של קונטיקט - הספרייה הממלכתית של קונטיקט.

החברה ההיסטורית בקונטיקט - מוזיאון, ספריה ומרכז חינוך ללא מטרות רווח, כתבים, תמונות ועוד על ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט. הטקסט המלא של ההיסטוריה הקולוניאלית של הרטפורד, ארכיון האינטרנט של קונטיקט. הסיפור שלנו החל בשנת 1810 - כחברת ביטוח אש. נשיא החברה הראשון שלנו, נתנאל טרי בנה את החברה שלנו על המחויבות לעזור לאחרים. ארבעת הבניינים - ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט. ברוכים הבאים למסלולי הגנאלוגיה של קונטיקט! קַו. דניס וגנר היא המארחת שלך במחוז הרטפורד. קַו. המטרה שלנו היא לעזור לך לעקוב אחר אבותיך לאורך זמן עד.

הרטפורד קונטיקט היסטוריה פרויקט CTH הומניסטי.

ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט, ארצות הברית 1614 הסוחר ההולנדי, אדריה בלוק, הפליג במעלה נהר קונטיקט, נחת ליד הרטפורד 1633 ההולנדים הקימו מבצר,. יום ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד קונטיקט. החיבור הבא נלקח מתוך HARTFORD IN HISTORY: סדרה של תומאס הוקר, שאליו קונטיקט חייבת יותר מאשר לכל אחת מראשיתה. היסטוריית הזיכרון של מחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט.gov. לעבד, לתעד ולהפיץ את ההיסטוריה של השכונות היהודיות בהרטפורד רבתי, עורכי דין יהודים וקהילות ברחבי קונטיקט.

היסטוריה של מוזיאון הילדים מוזיאון הילדים.

מוזיאון להיסטוריה של הטבע בבית הבריכה בפארק אליזבת בהרטפורד, על פי הסכם עם מדינת קונטיקט, מרכז הטבע הרועם ברוק. הרטפורד: אז ועכשיו למד את זה CT. הוא נפגש באופן בלתי פורמלי עם סטודנטים במהלך היום ונזכר בקיץ בו עבד בקונטיקט בשדות הטבק הסמוכים. הבניין האקדמי הראשון ,.

הרטפורד, קונטיקט מבוא לארה"ב.

בקצה הצפוני של מהגרים מהרטפורד מג'ורג'יה ומהגרים ממזרח אירופה, לרגע בזמן היסטורי, שיתפו מרחב מגורים ברמת הרחוב. המוזיאון והספרייה של החברה ההיסטורית בקונטיקט פייסבוק. ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט תפסה מקום מרכזי בהיסטוריה של קונטיקט ממקורות המדינות ועד היום, כמו גם ההיסטוריה הגדולה יותר של. ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד הקדומה, מייסדי CT בהרטפורד. ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד הקדומה. מפה של הרטפורד, CT בשנת 1640 עד שהגיעו מתנחלים לבנים לקונטיקט בתחילת המאה ה -17, היו לילידים האינדיאנים. YMCA Hartford YMCA להיסטוריית הרטפורד רבתי. ההיסטוריה הקולוניאלית של הרטפורד פרק א 'חולצות על חלוצי הרטפורד בשנת 1635 הסיבות שהניעו את תושבי ניוטאון, בהנהגתו של.

ציוני דרך היסטוריה שכנות הרטפורד, קונטיקט.

בשנת 1835 קיבל קונטיקט אליפלט טרי מנהיגות של חברת ביטוח קטנה בהרטפורד. תוך שנה אחת, ובמכה אחת, הוא הפך את העיר. הגירה גדולה של אפרו -אמריקאים להרטפורד, קונטיקט, 1910. ברוכים הבאים למוזיאון להיסטוריה של CT. במוזיאון להיסטוריה של קונטיקט תמצאו תערוכות העוקבות אחר צמיחת המדינה ותפקידה. מפות היסטוריות ווסט הרטפורד. ל- YMCA של הרטפורד רבתי יש היסטוריה ארוכה וגאה של עבודה עם שלנו היא הספקית הגדולה ביותר של טיפול בילדים איכותי בקונטיקט, המשרתת מעל 2.600. זיכרונות הרטפורד רבתי: היסטוריה צילומית של המאה ה -19. היסטוריית הזיכרון של מחוז הרטפורד, קונטיקט, 1633 1884 מהדורה. מאת ג'יי האמונד טרומבול מוקרן על ידי קלרנס פ. ג'ווט.

היסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט היסטוריה של עיירות בארצות הברית.

ההיסטוריה של הרטפורד, קונטיקט. הרטפורד, CT היסטוריית מזג אוויר תת קרקעית. ההיסטוריה של משטרת מזרח הרטפורד שהוכנה על ידי סגן טים יורגנס. החוג להיסטוריה מכללת טריניטי. הרטפורד, הקרויה על שם העיירה הרטפורד האנגלית, הוקמה בשנת 1636. שתי מפות נפרדות, שפורסמו במקור בהיסטוריה הקולוניאלית של הרטפורד על ידי הכומר המקומי, האזורי והלאומי מקורות הרטפורד. היסטוריה של שידורי רדיו וטלוויזיה CT כולל בדיקות אוויר ותמונות. WWUH, WTIC, W1XPW, WHCN, הווארד שטרן, WDRC, WFSB, רדיו פיראטים. ההתנחלות של הארטפורד הקבורה העתיקה בהרטפורד. לוחות השעתוק זמינים בחדר ההיסטוריה המקומית בספרייה הראשית. אטלס של העיר הרטפורד, קונטיקט, כולל גם את העיר ווסט.

עובדות היסטוריות בקונטיקט CT.gov בית.

Noank Conn. 451. מקום מיושב בהרטפורד. 442. ניו מילפורד קונ. 442. Newtown Conn. 438. מקום מיושב באוקספורד. 438. Middlebury Conn. הרטפורד קונטיקט, בריטניקה, ארצות הברית. הרטפורד, בחלק המרכזי הצפוני של המדינה, היא הבירה. המדינה בצורת מלבן בערך, עם ידית פונה המשתרעת לכיוון דרום מערב. סמינר ההיסטוריה שלנו בהרטפורד. המכון התיאולוגי בקונטיקט עובר להרטפורד וכעבור 20 שנה נקרא שמו הסמינר התיאולוגי של הרטפורד.

פינו - משחק לוח הגיוני המבוסס על טקטיקה ואסטרטגיה. באופן כללי זהו רמיקס של שחמט, דמקה ופינות. המשחק מפתח דמיון, ריכוז, מלמד כיצד לפתור משימות, לתכנן את פעולותיהם וכמובן לחשוב בהיגיון. זה לא משנה כמה חלקים יש לך, העיקר הוא איך הם ממקמים!


ביסל היסטוריה משפחתית

להלן מהאתר http://foundersofhartford.org.

כשהגיעו מתנחלים לבנים לקונטיקט בתחילת המאה ה -17, אינדיאנים אכלסו את האזור במשך אלפי שנים, אכן המילה של אלגונקין הייתה "נהר גאות ארוך", קווינטוקוט, שהעניק למושבה (ומאוחר יותר את המדינה). שמו.

שבטים שונים, כולם חלק מהקונפדרציה האלגונקית הרופפת, גרו בהרטפורד או בסביבתו. אלה כללו את הפודונקים, בעיקר ממזרח לנהר קונטיקט הפוקונוקס, מצפון וממערב להרטפורד הטבח, באזור גרנבי-סימסברי שבט הטונקיס, במערב הרטפורד ופרמינגטון וונגונקים, מדרום והסוקיוגים בהרטפורד עצמו. סוקיוג, או כפי שהוא נכתב לפעמים, סיקאוג או סאקיאוג, היה השם האינדיאני להרטפורד.

לאחר שהטיף לזמן קצר בקהילת אשר בסורי, אנגליה, הפך תומס הוקר בשנת 1626 כמרצה בכנסיית מריה הקדושה בצ'למספורד שבאסקס, שם נשא נאומים אוונגליסטיים נלהבים. הרצאות כנסייה כאלה, חידוש של פוריטניות, הותקפו בשנת 1629, ובשנת 1630 צוטט הוקר בפני בית המשפט לנציבות העליונה. הוא ברח להולנד, וייתר את הקשר שלו, ובשנת 1633 היגר למושבת מפרץ מסצ'וסטס. בניו טאון (כיום קיימברידג ', MA), הוא הפך לכומר של חברה של פוריטנים שהגיעה מאנגליה בשנה הקודמת בציפייה להצטרף אליהם, הם נקראו חברת מר הוקר. אך הוקר ותומכיו הפכו למנועים, ובאוקטובר 1635 הוביל קבוצה לקונטיקט כדי להתיישב בהרטפורד, CT, שם שימש ככומר עד מותו.

"בולדר ההרפתקנים" למעלה, אנדרטת הרטפורד, CT, מפרטת את הסבים של רוברט דיי, אדוארד סטבינס וויליאם גודווין בין 25 הגברים שעשו את הטיול עם הוקר.

בינתיים, באנגליה, שר פוריטני בשם תומאס הוקר משך את תשומת ליבו של הארכיבישוף מקנטרברי, שנלחם בחירוף נפש נגד הניסיונות הפוריטנים לבצע רפורמה בכנסייה האנגלית שהוקמה. בסופו של דבר נאלץ הוקר לעזוב את אנגליה להולנד, ובשנת 1633 הגיע למסצ'וסטס כדי להימלט מרדיפות נוספות. שם, הוא הפך לשר הראשון של הכנסייה בניוטאון, הידועה כיום בשם קיימברידג ', MA. עוזרו היה סמואל סטון, שנולד בהרטפורד (או, כפי שנאמר בדרך כלל אז, הרטפורד), מצפון ללונדון.

כשמצא את אזור בוסטון צפוף מדי, עזבו תומאס הוקר וכ -100 איש מקהילתו, יחד עם כמה בקר, מסצ'וסטס בסתיו 1635 ונסעו לקונטיקט, שם פתחו יישוב מצפון ליישוב ההולנדי הקטן. במקור הם קראו לביתם החדש ניוטאון, אך שינו אותו להרטפורד, כנראה בהצעתו של סמואל סטון, על שם עיר הולדתו באנגליה.

קישורים לאבות אבות ביסל שהיו

וויליאם גודווין ואליזבת ווייט - מייסדי הרטפורד מהצד של אדלייד בוטל במשפחה

קהילת הרטפורד נוסדה במקור כקהילה רפורמית בשנת 1636 כאשר הכומר תומאס הוקר שימש ככומר הראשון. חברי הקהילה היגרו בעבר מאנגליה למסצ'וסטס ובילו שם ארבע שנים לפני שעזבו את מזרח מסצ'וסטס לאחר סכסוך עם ממשלת מסצ'וסטס. (מה שקונטיקט כיום היה חלק ממושבת מפרץ מסצ'וסטס).

שטח הקבורה הישן הצמוד לבניין בהרטפורד מתוארך לשנת 1640 בערך. בית הישיבות הנוכחי בכנסייה מתוארך לשנת 1807 והוא בית הישיבות הרביעי המשמש כמקום תפילה לקהילה. בית מפגש הכנסייה ובית הקברות נוספו לרשם הלאומי של מקומות היסטוריים בשנת 1972. הקהילה מחוברת כיום לכנסיית המשיח המאוחדת (UCC).

בנוסף לסיפוריהם של מייסדי הרטפורד אלה, ישנם עוד כמה מתיישבים מוקדמים של הרטפורד או ווינדזור שראויים לאזכור מיוחד:

** בנוני אולקוט, סבא רבא חמישי ואביה של יוניס אולקוט (שנישאה לנוח ביסל יליד 1753) חי במספר חלקים מכריעים בהיסטוריה האמריקאית בשנות ה -1700. על פי Britannica.com, מלחמת המלך ג'ורג ', 1744-48, הייתה החלק הצפון אמריקאי במלחמה השלישית בין צרפת לבריטניה על השליטה בצפון אמריקה. היו ויכוחים על גבולות צפון ניו אינגלנד ועל השליטה בעמק אוהיו. גם הצרפתים וגם האנגלים השתמשו בשבטים הודים ילידים כחלק מכוחותיהם. הניצחון החשוב היחיד לבריטים היה לכידת הניו אינגלנדים את לואיסבורג, האי קייפ ברטון, ב -15 ביוני 1745.

עם תחילת המלחמה גייסו המושבות בניו אינגלנד (שבעצם עדיין ראו את עצמן כאנגליות) גברים להילחם נגד הצרפתים היורדים מקנדה.

בנוני אולקוט, יליד 30 בדצמבר 1716, היה בן 28 בזמן שהצטרף לסרן אי. חברת 'גרנט 1745'. Benoni was born 30 Dec 1716 Died, 2 Jun 1799. Buried in the Edwards Cemetery, South Windsor, CT. I haven't found any more details of Olcott's military service in 1745, although the major battle in which most of the New England troops participated was the capture of Louisbourg. This was a major victory for the British side and one of the things that convinced the French to eventually agree to end the war.

Thirty years later, Benoni Olcott would also play a role in Connecticut's contributions to the American Revolutionary War. From The History of South Windsor, Connecticut by Lori Jean Kremidas, 1981, we learn that Old East Windsor (now South Windsor) was known as a "provision town" during the Revolutionary War. Deacon Benoni Olcott had charge of supplying arms and ammunition Ebenezer Grant, the merchant, of supplying clothing and Lemuel Stoughton of providing commissariat supplies, beef, pork, and flour to the Continental Army. Since lead was sorely needed by the Army, lead settings of the diamond-shaped panes of glass were taken out of some houses. The meeting house was robbed of its lead window-settings and sash weights. Clock-weights were confiscated, and many clocks at that time were silent “for the duration".

In Henry Reed Stiles’ History and Genealogies of Ancient Windsor, Connecticut the material describing Windsor’s role in the Revolutionary War includes a list of people who sold their personal blankets for use by the revolutionary soldiers. The Connecticut State Archives, Revolutionary War, Vol. 86, contains a list of names of people of Windsor who sold blankets that were collected by Benoni. Olcott also maintained an account book in which is recorded his selling gunpowder for the use of the revolutionary soldiers and other activities, beginning in August 1776, that included “to fetch powder from Hartford,” purchasing paper for gun cartridges, buying foods including rye seed and bowls of toddy for the soldiers, and getting clothing and “blankits” for the soldiers.

In the Spring of 1778, after General Lafayette had abandoned the enterprise of invading Canada, he made his headquarters for a time in South Windsor at the house of Mr. Nathaniel Porter (presumably also a Bissell 3G cousin, descended from John Porter, Jr. of Windsor).

At Lafayette's suggestion, British Hessian prisoners were employed in planting trees along the highway. Among the entertainments of the officers were horseracing and betting. The races began at General Lafayette's house and ended at the Fitch house. The citizens of South Windsor disapproved of these races.

General Lafayette made many short trips to Rhode Island, and Mr. Justus Grant of Wapping was usually with him, The two often wrestled together, with Grant often victorious. However, Lafayette was more adept than Grant at fencing, General Rochambeau's French troops were stationed in South Windsor at the same period as Lafayette. Many balls and parties were given in their honor and the townsmen and ladies attended.

Some evidence of Benoni's role in providing guns to the Americans preparing to fight the British in the Revolutionary War comes from a document that still survives, a receipt showing that Benoni Olcott sold a gun to Ensign Alexander King of the Continental Army.

The transcription of this receipt as best I can provide it appears to be as follows:

"August 15th: 1776 then received of Benoni Olcott one of the Selectmen of East Windsor one gun Purchased for the Colony assessed at Three pounds five shillings to be used in the Continental Army this Summer Campaign and then returned to the Selectmen of East Windsor [this?] Day Received per me. Ens. Alex King"

The other side appears to say, "Alexander King's Rec. for a gun bought for the colony." This part also includes a notation made by or made about "Capt. Robinson."

And who was this Alex King to whom Benoni was selling a rifle? Alexander King was born in East Windsor in December 1749. (As an aside, I can't resist occasionally making these genealogical connections: Alex King's mother is a Bissell 3G third cousin, her name was Kezia Loomis, b. 1715. The Connecticut River Valley was a small community -- Kezia's great-great-grandfather was Joseph Loomis born 1590 in England, the common ancestor with the Bissells. Kezia's mother was Mary Cooley, b. 1685 and Kezia's maternal grandparents were Bissell 8th Great-grandparents Joseph Cooley, b. 1662, and Mary Griswold, b. 1663. So Kezia's a cousin on both sides of her family.)

Alex King served as a soldier during the Revolutionary war. In June, 1776, he was commissioned by Gov. Jonathan Trumbull (the only colonial governor who took up the rebel cause) as ensign of a company raised to join the Continental Army, and was again commissioned Oct. 16, 1777, by Governor Trumbull, as an ensign in the 19th Regiment of Militia. King served in 1776 in Captain Elijah Robinson’s Company in the Northern Department at the Battle of Bunker Hill. He married Abigail Olcott, Eunice Olcott's sister and Benoni's daughter, in May 1781. So when Alex purchased the gun from Benoni, it was from his future father-in-law. Note, too, that Abigail and Eunice's mother Deborah Cooley Olcott was a "Cooley" and so Deborah was a second cousin to Alex.

And for anyone interested, this souvenir of Benoni Olcott's involvement in the Revolutionary War was recently on sale on E-bay for only $350!

In the town history section of James H. Trumbull’s Memorial History of Hartford County , Trumbull writes, “Benoni Olcott was a prominent man upon the east side of the river, both before the town of East Windsor was organized and afterward. The Olcott family was not one of the old Windsor families it belonged rather to Hartford. Benoni Olcott appears to have come when a young man from Bolton to Windsor before the middle of the last century [i.e., mid-1700s]. Mr. Olcott filled many important offices. He was in middle life when the town of East Windsor was organized and his name is conspicuous in all the early records of the town. He was on the board of selectmen he was moderator of town-meetings he was deacon of the old Edwards church. he was largely trusted, and seemed for many years to divide public responsibilities with Mr. Erastus Wolcott."

** Noah Bissell, born 1716 . So, Benoni Olcott's other son-in-law, married to Eunice, was 5th Great-grandfather Noah Bissell born 1753. His father, 6th Great-grandfather (also named) Noah Bissell born 26 Jun 1716, was about the exact same age as Benoni Olcott and like Benoni he served in Grant's Company in King George's War. Note that there were a number of other men from Windsor who were also in Grant’s Company in King George’s War who were very likely Bissell 3G Generation distant cousins, with family names including Ellsworth, Rockwell, Strong and Moore.

** Sixth Great-grandfather Noah's brother was Ensign David Bissell , a Great-uncle born in 1708. He had a son David, born in 1732. One of these two Davids, and I believe it is the David born in 1732 who would be a Bissell first cousin, served in the Crown Point expedition in the 4th Co, 3rd Regiment of the expedition. As noted below, like many, many other Bissell cousins, he also served in the Revolutionary War. Connecticut public records from May 1775 also show the state legislature identifying David Bissell as a Lt. in the Second Company, 4th Conn. Regiment, Revolutionary War. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain’s book about the history of the University of Pennsylvania has a section about Frederick Meade Bissell, a graduate who became an executive with the Pennsylvania Railroad, and refers to his family history and mentions “David Bissell, 3d, who was a member of Captain Benjamin Allyn’s Fourth Company, Third Regiment in the expedition against Crown Point, August 1755 and Lieutenant in the Fourth Connecticut Regiment during the Revolutionary War.”

One other cousin, Daniel Bissell, held the title to "Ore Hill" near Salisbury, CT which proved to be the region's largest iron ore deposit. After Bissell had acquired the rights to the land in 1731 from the state legislature, he sold it to men who developed the iron business in the area.

Ore Hill became the center of a new industry and within five decades, at the time of the Revolutionary War, the area produced one-third of all cannons in the Revolutionary War, outfitted "Old Ironsides" and gave rise to Connecticut's gun trade. This four-pounder cannon pictured above was cast in Salisbury and buried in Danbury in 1777 to save it from the British. It was brought from Danbury to Litchfield and then to Winchester in 1811, it would be buried and recovered at least three more times before being presented to the Winchester Historical Society in 1914.

Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey

Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey, are Bissell 3G Great-grandparents in this family on two occasions. First, they are 9th Great-grandparents through their son (and 8th Great-grandfather) Robert Warner, whose daughter Ruth is the Bissell 7th Great-grandmother. More on Ruth Warner and David Bissell below . Second, Andrew and Mary are 10th Great-grandparents in the ancestral line of 3rd Great-grandmother Mercy Ann Searle, through their son Isaac and granddaughter Sarah.

Andrew Warner was born about 1595, the son of John and Mary (Purchas) Warner of Great Waltham, Essexshire, England. He married Mary Humphrey, born 13 Feb 1602, on 5 Oct 1624 in Thaxted, Essex, England. Andrew Warner was a farmer, trader and a malster in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essexshire. Andrew and Mary’s son Robert was born in England in 1630. He arrived in Cambridge, MA in 1633 and was made freeman of the Massachusetts Bay colony on May 14, 1634. His homestead was near the present location of Harvard University. He moved to Hartford with the original proprietors in October 1635, following the Rev. Thomas Hooker from his church in Cambridge, and was a deacon in Rev. Hooker’s Puritan church in Hartford. Many Puritans fled England at this time because of religious persecution under King Charles I, who was an orthodox “high church” Anglican and who was influenced by his wife Queen Henrietta Maria, an orthodox Roman Catholic.

Andrew was one of eight commissioners named in the original 1636 charter from the General Court of Massachusetts creating the Colony of Connecticut. The commissioners had “full power and authority” to lead and govern the new colony. The charter provided in part that the commissioners, “. shall have full power and authoritie to hear and determine in a judicial way. to make & decree such orders, for the present, that may be for the peaceable & quiett ordering the affairs of the said plantacon, bothe in tradeing, planting, building, lotts, militarie dissipline, defensiue in warr [if neede so require], as shall best conduce to the publique good of the same. ” (Original spelling and punctuation preserved.)

Andrew and his second wife Esther (Wakeman) Selden (Mary had died between 1650 and 1657) in 1657 moved to the newly established town of Hadley, Massachusetts. These “removers” and much more about Andrew and his family are described in Settlers of Northampton, Andrew Warner and Mary Humphrey .

Andrew may have worked as a malster in Hadley. A malster would have been someone who selected cereal grains from the growing fields, mainly barley, and modify the barley (soaking it in water to begin germination and create sugar in the barley, which the yeast will turn into alcohol) to allow the brewmaster to be able to make beer from it. Roasting of the barley at that point stops further germination growth and preserves the sugar for later in the brewing process. Andrew may also have been a brewmaster, as often farming, malting and brewing were combined. More about Andrew in general and his brewing activity in Settlers of Northampton and Hatfield.

Most of the information about Andrew Warner in this piece comes from a website written by one of Andrew Warner’s descendants, Mary E. Warner.

Robert Warner, Andrew's son, was born in Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex, England in 1626. He came to Cambridge, MA with his parents in 1633 and to Hartford, CT in 1636. Robert married (first) Elizabeth Grant, in 1654 in Hartford, and then moved to Middletown, CT. and had seven children with her. He married (second) Deliverance Bissell 2 Feb. 1674/75 in Hartford. Deliverance was born 11 Jun 1640 in Dorchester, MA, her parents Richard and Ann Hawes came to Dorchester on the Truelove in 1635. She died June 12, 1718 in Middletown, CT. Deliverance married (first) John Rockwell, Jr. (a Bissell Great-uncle and a member of the family that are ancestors to Bissell Notable Cousin Norman Rockwell) 18 Aug 1662 in Dorchester. Deliverance and John had several children. John died 3 Sep 1673 in Windsor, CT. Deliverance married (second) Robert Warner and they had Ruth Warner, b. Nov. 1675 in Middletown, CT., christened 14 Nov. 1675. Robert was appointed Deputy to the General Court from 1660-1665 and was chosen constable for the town of Middletown in March 1670/1 Robert and Deliverance also had two other children, Bethia in 1680 and Samuel in 1683, as well as her children from her first marriage to Rockwell. Robert Warner died 11 Apr 1690. Deliverance then married (third) Nathaniel Bissell about 1692, when Ruth Warner was 16 years old. Nathaniel's first wife had been Mindwell Moore. Nathaniel and Mindwell Moore’s son David (Bissell 7th Great-grandfather) was born in 1681. Ruth Warner and David Bissell were step-siblings for many years. Ruth married David in Windsor, CT on 24 Feb 1703/04 when she was about 27 and he was about 22, and they had six children. (Most of this information on Robert Warner is from The Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, which also indicates many land transactions there in which Robert owned a lot of land, more than 700 acres at his death in 1690.)

Robert Day and Editha Stebbins Day

And her brother Edward Stebbins

Robert Day and Edward Stebbins are two of the original pioneers settling Hartford, coming in October 1635 from Cambridge, Mass. to Connecticut. This group included about 25 men. The Rev. Thomas Hooker and the rest of his congregation arrived from Cambridge the next year, 1636. Edward's sister Editha probably arrived with that 1636 group and married Robert Day, son of Richard Day and Anna Kirby, in about 1636.

"Connecticut River Valley, Claremont, New Hampshire." Painted by German-American Painter Albert Bierstadt (1830-1902) in 1865 or 1868, and now located in the Berkshire Museum, Pittsfield, MA.

Robert Day was born in 1604 in Ipswich, co. Suffolk, Eng. and died before 14 Oct 1648 in Hartford, Hartford Co., CT. The Day name is said to have come from Wales, where it was originally "Dee," the name of a small river in Wales. It is not known exactly when Editha arrived but it likely was not with her brother in 1635 but rather with the congregation that journeyed through the wilderness and arrived in 1636. Editha and Edward Stebbins’ father William Stebbins was born in 1567 in Black Notley, Essex, England. His wife and Editha’s mother Mary (last name unknown) was also from Black Notley. Editha was born in 1613 in Woodham, Eng and died on 24 October 1688 in Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts. Her older brother Deacon Edward Stebbins, was born before 24 Feb 1594/95 in Black Notley, Essex, England and died before 19 Aug 1668 in Hartford, CT. Edward Stebbins was in Cambridge, MA in 1633, in Hartford as an original proprietor in 1635, a constable in Hartford in 1638 and deputy of the colony's court various times from 1639 to 1656. He was leather sealer, 1659. (The leather sealer was responsible for assuring, sometimes with a jury, that leather was being made properly according to the colonial laws that governed that trade.)

There doesn't seem to be much information about what Robert did in Hartford. He was chosen "viewer of chimneys and ladder s." A Catalogue of the Names of the First Puritan Settlers of the Colony of Connecticut with the Time of their Arrival in the Colony, and their standing in society, together with their place of residence, as far as can be discovered by the records. , collected from the state and town records, by R.R. Hinman and published, Hartford 1846 tells us,

"As the office of Chimney Viewer is attached to the names of some of the first settlers, I take the liberty of explaining the cause. Immediately after the organization of the town of Hartford as a town, or rather as a company of land holders – a law was enacted that all chimneys should be cleansed by the owner once in a month, upon a penalty provided by law. [The reason was to prevent chimney fires, a common occurrence if a chimney is not properly cleaned and one that would be devastating to a small colonial community.] Therefore that the law should be strictly obeyed and carried out by the inhabitants, for several years a committee of respectable men, (for no others held offices at that day) were appointed to see that all house-holders fully obeyed the law. It was also a law that each house-holder should provide a ladder for his house, where there was not a tree standing by his house which reached within two feet of the top of the chimney. This law also came within the duties of the viewers of chimneys."

Editha was the mother of four children with Robert Day, the oldest being their son Thomas who is the Bissell 3G 9th Great-grandfather. There is more information about Edith under "Ancestors M-Z" at " Edith Stebbins, a founding pioneer of the Connecticut River Valley. " After Robert died in 1648, Editha married second John Maynard, also a founder of Hartford. He died in 1657-8. His will names his wife Editha, her eldest son Thomas Day, youngest son John Day, and daughters Sarah and Mary Day. John Day received the property of Maynard, and it is probably in remembrance of him that he named a son Maynard Day. Maynard gave his dwelling-house and lands in Hartford to Editha, and after her decease to go to her youngest son, John. After Maynard died, Editha married Elizur Holyoke of Springfield, one of the wealthiest men in Massachusetts. He died in King Philip's War.

Captain John Cullick and Elizabeth Fenwick

John Cullick, 9th Great-grandfather, was from Felstead County, Essex, Eng., born about 1610. His first wife died and as far as I can determine, Mary who is the Bissell ancestor was probably born to John's first wife, who died in 1644 she would have been raised by, if not born to, John's second wife, Elizabeth Fenwick, who he married in 1648. More about Elizabeth below, she was from a wealth English family and her brother George Fenwick was prominent in the Connecticut Colony.

The sketch of a colonial witch trial above is included because John Cullick had several different connections to infamous early witch trials in Hartford. A detailed account of Bissell ancestor involvement in these early colonial witch trials is on another page of this website, America's First Witch Trials.

One connection is the trial of Goodwife Bassett , in which Cullick was one of the three judges who convicted her and which resulted in her hanging in 1651. (The picture at right suggests what Bassett's hanging might have looked like, but is in fact a sketch of the 1656 hanging in Boston of a woman named Ann Hibbins.)

Another witch trial connection with Capt. Cullick is that while she was a single young woman, Katherine Harrison worked as a servant to Great-grandfather Cullick in Hartford. Incidentally, her witchcraft trial was in part presided over by Bissell first cousin John Winthrop, who played a major part in the early New England Massachusetts and Connecticut colonies. Note also that Richard Montague, Bissell 10th Great-grandfather, was a witness against Harrison, alleging her unnatural ability to control a swarm of bees.

Elizabeth Fenwick's brother was Colonel George Fenwick (and so a Bissell step great-uncle). Col. Fenwick was a British lawyer and active in setting up the plans for settling Connecticut. He was the agent for two Puritan Lords, Saye and Brooke, and brought his family to Saybrook in 1639. His wife Alice died and he returned to England in 1645, having sold the Saye and Brook property to the Connecticut colony in 1644 after they had given up the idea of emigrating to America. He was a participant in the Second English Civil War and Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1650, for which he was made Governor of Leith and Edinburgh Castle in 1650 and Hume Castle in 1651. An inventory of his estate in 1660 showed that he owned black slaves in Connecticut (some early slaves in the colony were Indians who had been defeated in battle by the settlers).

When he returned to England, Fenwick was one of the many judges at the 1649 trial of King Charles I, who after being convicted of treason was executed at the end of January 1649. The next year, F enwick was a participant in the Second English Civil War and Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1650, for which Fenwick was made Governor of Leith and Edinburgh Castle (pictured here) in 1650 and Hume Castle in 1651.

Thomas Olcott & Abigail Porter

Thomas Olcott born 1613 is the Bissell 3G generation 9th Great-grandfather. He was baptised 2 Feb 1613, at St Lawrence Jewry, London, England he died early in 1653/4, on business aboard a ship enroute to Virginia. He was the son of Thomas Olcott and Margaret Hyde. There is more information about Thomas and Margaret on Olcott Family Tree 2.0 . Thomas Olcott born 1613 was at Hartford, CT by 1639 he was made constable in 1640 and his name appears on the Hartford Founders Monument. Thomas was a merchant in shipping trade between New England and Maryland and Virginia, likely much of it in tobacco. The Connecticut River Valley included tobacco as a major crop and it is still grown in Windsor, CT and other nearby areas today, much as it was in colonial times. Thomas' will was written 10 Nov 1653, Hartford, CT, and his estate inventoried at £1,466 (a large sum at the time) Feb. 13, 1654. The primary portion of his estate (£1141.18.0) was in debts receivable, presumably from his trading business. Thomas' will includes many doctrinal statements of the Puritan Christian faith, including the Trinity as the "merciful Father and blessed Redeemer and eternal Comforter," man's original state in "the chains of darkness and the dungeons of sin and misery," election in mercy and love "by a mighty and unresistable power," the resurrection of the body when "both body and soul shall be reunited," "worldly goods which the Lord hath been pleased to lend," and "God's faithfulness and goodness" through "his everlasting covenant."

Thomas and Abigail Porter were married in England. Abigail was born about 1615 in England she died May 26, 1693 in Hartford, CT. Her will was dated Jan. 12, 1692/3, and proved Sep. 7, 1693. It's not clear to me who her father was, see more in notes to Olcott Family Tree Chart 2.0 Timothy Olcott.

William Goodwin & Elizabeth White

William Goodwin, a Founder of Hartford, is a 10th Great-grandfather on the Adelaide Boutelle side of the family. See Adelaide Boutelle Family Tree Chart 2.0 .

William Goodwin's father was Ozias Goodwin, b. 1569 in Bocking, Essex, Eng. he died in 1627, in Bocking. William's brother, also named Ozias, helped organize their trip together to New England. Ozias's wife was Susan Garbrand, who died 17 May 1676 in Farmington, CT. It appears that William was the immigrant ancestor to New England , with his brother, also named Ozias, who was born in 1596. (William's Grandfather was Ozias Goodwin, b. 1543, Lindsell, Essex died 1568, Bocking.)

William Goodwin was born about 1591 he died 11 Mar 1673, in Farmington, CT. His name appears on Hartford's Founders Monument. William settled first at Newtown (Cambridge), MA (the records show he was made a freeman 6 Nov 1632 he was deputy to the General Court May 1634). He was at Hartford, CT in 1636 moved to help settle Hadley, MA in 1659 and moved to Farmington, CT in about 1670. William's first wife was Elizabeth White, born 7 Nov 1616 in Shalford, Essex, England. (See Robert White & Bridget Allgar's Four Daughters ). William married second by Jan. 1669/70 Susan (Garbrand) Hooker (she died 17 May 1676 in Farmington, CT) she was the widow of Rev. Thomas Hooker, leader of the group that settled Hartford in 1636.

With his brother William, Ozias traveled from Bocking, Essex, England as part of the Braintree Co. on the ship Lyon . Ozias Goodwin was instrumental in organizing the voyage, which departed England 22 Jun 1632. The Braintree Co. was headed by Rev. Thomas Hooker and the Lyon arrived in Boston, MA on 16 September 1632 with 123 passengers, including 50 children. Ozias traveled to the New World with his wife, Mary (nee) Woodward and their first child, also named William. William traveled with his wife, Elizabeth White, and their children, Christopher and Elizabeth. Ozias became a citizen of Hartford in 1639 or before, according to records in the Conn. State Library. Ozias Goodwin was one of the company from Hartford, Windsor, and Wethersfield, who on the 18th of April, 1659, signed (along with his brother William) an agreement to remove to Hadley in Massachusetts, "therein to inhabit and dwell, by the 29th of September come twelve months, which will be in the year 1660." That he sympathized with his brother and others who removed on account of the troubles in the church in Hartford is quite likely, but that he did not go to Hadley to dwell is evident from a vote recorded in Hadley at the end of 1661 determining that if Ozias did not move to Hadley by May 1662, he would forfeit his land grant there. Ozias died in Hartford before April 1681.

There are records of William and his wife selling property in England prior to moving to the colonies. In 1622 they sold a messuage (essentially a dwelling house), with cottage and two gardens, located in Barton, county of Bedford, to a John Warren. And again in 1629 William and his wife sold a messuage, a dove-house, a garden, two orchards, thirty-four acres of land, three acres of meadow, and twelve acres of pasture, with the appurtenances, in Worthend, Greenfield, Flitton, and Pulloxhill, also in the county of Bedford, to Sir William Brydges.

Both Ozias and William settled in Newtown Massachusetts, now called Cambridge. William having the funds from the sale of his property in England immediately set up residence in Newtown, near what is now Harvard University.


Twenty-first century

Hartford experienced problems as the population shrank 11 percent during the 1990s. Only Flint, Michigan Gary, Indiana Saint Louis and Baltimore experienced larger population losses during the decade. However, the population has increased since the 2000 Census. [4]

In 1997, the city lost its professional hockey franchise, the Hartford Whalers, to Raleigh, North Carolina despite an increase in season ticket sales and an offer of a new arena from the state. Currently a developer from Newton, Massachusetts who is also the city's largest property owner is working with the city to bring an NHL team back to Hartford and house them in a new largely publicly funded stadium. [3]

Starting in the late 1950s, as the suburbs ringing Hartford began to grow and flourish, the capital city began a long decline. Insurance giant Connecticut General (now CIGNA) moved to a new, modern campus in the suburb of Bloomfield. Constitution Plaza, at first hailed as a model of urban renewal, gradually became a concrete office park. Once-flourishing department stores such as Brown Thomson, Sage-Allen, and G. Fox & Co. all shut down as suburban malls such as Westfarms and Buckland Hills grew in popularity.

After World War II, many residents of Puerto Rico moved to Hartford and even today Puerto Rican flags can be found on cars and buildings all over the city. Former Hartford Mayor Eddie Pérez was born in Puerto Rico and moved to Hartford in 1969, when he was 12 years old.

On July 6, 1944, Hartford was the scene of one of the worst fire disasters in the history of the United States. The fire, which occurred at a performance of the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus, became known as the Hartford Circus Fire.


On June 23, 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court decided Kelo v. City of New London, a case that redefined — and vastly expanded — the permissible boundaries of eminent domain in the United States. In 2000, the New London Development Corporation (NLDC), acting under the city’s authority, moved to seize over 100 privately held…

The Cherokee leader Elias Boudinot first came to Connecticut in the 1820s to seek a formal western education at the Foreign Mission School in Cornwall. Born as Gallegina Uwati into a prominent Cherokee family in 1802, he was sent north with the permission of tribal elders in hopes that his western education would help…


Hartford, Connecticut - History

The South West neighborhood is bounded by Fairfield Avenue to the east, the Wethersfield town line to the south, the West Hartford town line to the west and the Park River and New Britain Avenue to the north. Large farms covered much of the South West neighborhood through most of the 19th century. One of the largest no doubt belonged to James H. Smith, who purchased 40 acres of land in 1898 from the trustees of Trinity College. His home was built in 1901 on Fairfield Avenue, with land with outbuildings, including a carriage house, that boardered White Street between Fairfield and New Britain avenues. It was big news in 1912 when Smith sold the majority of his land upon retiring from the dairy business. The home remains today as a two-family residence. The sale of Smith's property opened up the area for development and Cedar Heights was born. Advertised as a "golden opportuity" to live in "one of Hartford's most aristocractic sections," homes began springing up to populate the neighborhood.

Development was spurred by the availability of public transit in the form of the trolley than ran from Retreat Avenue through Washington street, across New Britain avenue and along Fairfield Avenue to Cedar Hill Cemetery, as well as trolley lines along New Britain Avenue running to Elmwood (West Hartford). The first two decades of the 20th century saw tremendous development of new roads, sidewalks, single homes and multiple-family dwellings.

Cedar Hill Cemetery spans half the width of the neighborhood's southern border and provides a welcoming parklike environment for residents ( more ). Foster Heights park nearby offers a picnic area, spray pad and playground for kids in the area.

Highland Park also provides a playground, spray pad and athletic fields. The tract of land was once a part of Rocky Ridge Park which extended north of New Britain Avenue to Trinity College. Formerly a quarry with rock blastings that shooki foundations of homes along Zion Street and Fairfield Avenue, the quarrying ceased by 1906 after complaints from Trinity College and distinguished residents such as George Fairfield. There was also the realization that it was cheaper to buy stone than to quarry it. The park is named for Thomas J. Hyland, who worked tirelessly to create youth programs in the neighborhood.

In May of 1931, the Mary Ogden Avery Convalescent Hospital was opened as a unit of Hartford Hospital, at the junction of New Britain and Newington avenues. A U-shaped, brick building of Colonial design, it had separate wings for male and female patients. Outdoor gardens on 80 acres on land provided a tranquil setting. Prior to that, the land was occupied by Wildwood Farm when land was deeded over to Hartford Hospital in 1887. For years, the farm provided vegetables and dairy products to the hospital. Today, the facility is known as Avery Heights, and is retirement community that offers cottages and apartments, along with health care facilities and services.

HFD Unit Engine 9 was organized in 1900 as Chemical 1 then renamed Squad A in 1911. It was located at 43 Pearl Street in downtown. The unit was disbanded in 1928 then reorganized in 1931 at its new location, on New Britain Avenue at Forster Street as Engine 9, where it remains today.

One of two public schools in the neighborhood, Kennelly began its life as the Southwest School, a one-room school house built in 1844. It was not always used and went through a long period of vacancy. The school reopened full time in the late 1890s but was soon found to be too small to accommodate the growing number of students who needed to attend. A large, brick building was built in 1900 and, many years later, renamed the Eleanor B. Kennelly School.

Largely residential, the neighborhood is considered the quiet corner of the city. Crime rate is comparitively low, housing is stable and there is limited commercial activity. Of the restaurants in the neighborhood the Nutshell Cafe on White Street specializes in Portuguese and American fare, and Coyote Flaco, owned and operated by Alcibiades and Esperanza Cabrera serve authentic Mexican cuisine.

Move your cursor over any of the images below for a larger view.

Site design, hosting and maintenance by Karen O'Maxfield. Please report any bugs or problems to the web administrator.

Disclaimer: All names, dates and information have been derived from several resources. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. מדיניות פרטיות


Connecticut

One of the original 13 colonies and one of the six New England states, Connecticut is located in the northeastern corner of the country. Initially an agricultural community, by the mid-19th century textile and machine manufacturing had become the dominant industries. The home of Eli Whitney and Samuel Colt, Connecticut was a leading manufacturer of guns and other arms. Today Connecticut lies in the midst of the great urban-industrial complex along the Atlantic coast, bordering Massachusetts to the north, Rhode Island to the east, Long Island Sound to the south and New York to the west. Hartford, in the north-central part of the state, is the capital. The state is roughly rectangular in shape, with a panhandle extending to the southwest on the New York border. In area it is the third smallest U.S. state, but it ranks among the most densely populated. The state’s greatest east-west length is about 110 miles, and its maximum north-south extent is about 70 miles. Connecticut takes its name from an Algonquian word meaning “land on the long tidal river.” “Nutmeg State,” 𠇌onstitution State” and “Land of Steady Habits” are all nicknames that have been applied to Connecticut.

Date of Statehood: January 9, 1788

Capital: Hartford

אוּכְלוֹסִיָה: 3,574,097 (2010)

גודל: 5,544 square miles

Nickname(s):Constitution State Nutmeg State Land of Steady Habits Provisions State

Motto: Qui Transtulit Sustinet (“He who transplanted still sustains”)


Hartford, Connecticut - History

Originally known as 'Lords Hill', this area west of downtown Hartford was primarily farmland and named after one of the city's original settlers. In 1807 the Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons was founded and its first student, Alice Cogswell, was enrolled. She is depicted in a commemorative statue, designed by Frances Wadsworth, that honors Thomas Hopkins Galludet, Mason F. Cogswell and Laurent Clerc, founders of the American School for the Deaf, which was the first of its kind in the country. Thereafter, the area was known as Asylum Hill.

In the early 1800s, the area was dominated by the 100-acre Imlay farm, which occupied most of the land from present-day Imlay Street west to the north branch of the Park River, and from Farmington Ave. south to the Park River. John Hooker and Francis Gillette purchased the farm in 1853 for the purpose of developing the real estate. They built their own homes and encouraged friends to do the same. As a result, a literary colony took hold that included Isabella Beecher Hooker, the Gillettes, Charles Dudley Warner, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Samuel Clemens, as well as reformers and activistts and others. The area became known as Nook Farm. The homes were designed by leading architects of the day and some still survive. Most notably, the homes of Samuel Clemens who, under the pseudonym Mark Twain penned some of his most notable works, including The Adventures of Tom Sawyer ו A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Nook Farm also included the home of Harriet Beecher Stowe, best known as the author of הבקתה של דוד טום. These, along with the Katherine Day House are museums open to the public.

The Hartford Fire Insurance Company was founded in 1810. Its symbol, the stag, was taken from the 16th century seal of the town of Hertford, England. The 10-acre campus on which it is located was the site of Hartford's first reservoir, and later the location of the original American School for the Deaf. One notable employee of The Hartford was Wallace Stevens who became a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet in 1955. Each day, he would walk the two miles from his home in the West End to work, often using the time to compose poetry. A group called "The Friends and Enemies of Wallace Stevens" commemorated this by having 13 granite stones with inscriptions from Stevens' poetry spaced along the route from Westerly Terrace to The Hartford.

The Hartford was the first major corporation to move into the neighborhood, followed by the Rossia Insurance Company and the Aetna Life Insurance Company. This generated a demand for lower-cost housing by clerical workers moving into the area.

As a residential area, the neighborhood has a mix of apartment buildings and multi-family houses. The Northside Institutions Neighborhood Alliance (NINA) is a nonprofit that was organized to foster the revitalization of the neighborhood. Over a dozen historic properties have been rehabilitated for home ownership.

A number of significant religious institutions are located in the neighborhood, including Asylum Hill Congregational Church which was organized in 1864 by a group of wealthy residents in the neighborhood. Designed by Irish-born architect Patrick C. Keely, its first pastor, Joseph Twichell, was a constant companion to and advisor of Samuel Clemens. The two men took very long walks–often, going the 8 miles to Talcott Mountain–to discuss life and phillosophy. Twichell is buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery.

Trinity Episcopal Church is built in the 19th Century Gothic Revival style. When it was constructed in the 1890s the congregation deliberately chose to abandon the centuries-old practice of subscription pews, marked with &ldquoowners&rdquo plaques. Wishing to be a more open church, welcoming all as equals, chairs were put in place and these remain today.

Patrick C. Keely also designed the original Cathedral of St. Joseph, a twin-towered brownstone structure that was built on the old Morgan estate and consecrated in 1879. On the last day of December,1956, the cathedral's wooden ceiling caught fire, windows shattered and the the roof caved in. Nothing of the structure could be salvaged and it was demolished. Reconstruction on the same site was begun almost immediately and the new cathedral was dedicated in1962.

Asylum Hill also was home to many educational institutions. The original Hartford Public High School was designed by architect George Keller, but was demolished in 1963 in favor of construction of Interstate 84. Today a stone marker honors the institution. It reads, in part:

On this site, from 1869 until 1963, stood the Hartford Public High School, the second oldest secondary school in the United States. Founded in 1638 as a Latin grammar School, it became in 1847, The Hartford Public English and Classical High School.

In 1897, the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Chambéry opened a two-room hospital that offered a refuge for immigrants who wanted to know that their faith and traditions would be understood and appreciated if they ever needed inpatient care. From this unassuming beginning has grown the medical facility now known as Saint Francis Hospital, the largest Catholic health care provider in New England. A teaching hospital, it is affiliated with the University of Connecticut Schools of Medicine and Dentistry.

Move your cursor over any of the images below for a larger view.

Site design, hosting and maintenance by Karen O'Maxfield. Please report any bugs or problems to the web administrator.

Disclaimer: All names, dates and information have been derived from several resources. Information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. מדיניות פרטיות